It’s no secret that dogs love bananas. In fact, many commercial dog foods include bananas as one of the main ingredients. So why not give your pup a little homemade goodness by preparing some treats with bananas yourself? It’s easy, fun, and best of all, your dog will love you for it!
Table of Contents
What you will need to make dog treats using banana
Here’s what you’ll need to make dog treats with banana:
- -1 ripe banana
- -1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- -1/4 cup oats
- -1 tablespoon honey
How to make dog treats with banana:
- First, start by mashing the banana in a bowl. Mash the banana until it is smooth and free of any lumps.
- Next, add the peanut butter, oats, and honey to the bowl and mix everything together until well combined.
- Once everything is mixed together, use a spoon or your hands to form the mixture into small balls. If the mixture is too sticky, you can add a little more oats to the mix.
- Finally, place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- Once frozen, you can store the treats in a zip-top bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- When you’re ready to give your pup a treat, simply remove one from the freezer and let it thaw for a few minutes. Your dog will love the banana flavor and the creamy peanut butter texture!
Hard treats vs soft treats:
If you’re not a fan of freezing treats, you can also bake the banana dog treats in the oven. Simply preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 15 minutes. The treats will be soft when they come out of the oven, but they will firm up as they cool.
You can also store this baked banana dog treats in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
You may want to have all your homemade treats as hard treats as this will lengthen their shelf life. To make treats hard, you will bake them for a bit longer until they are crisp. This way you can store them in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 weeks.
Softer treats expire fast and need to be stored in a re-sealable bag in the fridge and used within 5 days.
If you have a dehydrator, you can also dehydrate the banana dog treats. Simply place the balls on the dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 135 degrees Fahrenheit for about 12 hours. Once dried, store the treats in an airtight container on the counter for up to 2 weeks.
Dehydrated treats can also be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
3 Commercial Dog Treats with Bananas
- Stella & Chewy’s SuperBlends Cage-Free Duck Duck Goose Recipe Meal Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Topper
- Stella & Chewy’s Lil’ SuperBlends Small Breed Cage-Free Chicken Recipe Meal Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food Topper
- Stella & Chewy’s SuperBlends Grass-Fed Beef Recipe Meal Mixers Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Food